America does everything bigger. And better. And sweeter.
We gave the world gumboots, they gave the world Oprah.
We gave the world fence wire, they gave the world Oprah.
We gave the world the Nek Minnit guy, they gave the world Oprah.
Anyway, keeping to true American form – here is some popcorn.. bigger & better!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup (OK, I can hear the haters already – Golden Syrup can be substituted but you can buy corn sryup in NZ Supermarkets now though…)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Popped popcorn (salted if you are a lover of such things)
- Preheat oven to 150 Degrees
- Make sure you have your pre popped popcorn in the biggest dish you own. I tend to split it between roasting dishes.
- In a pot on a low – mid heat melt the butter.
- Add: brown sugar & corn syrup/golden syrup.
- Bring to a boil. DON’T stop
believingstirring constantly. Seriously, don’t stop for 3-4 mins or until it is a nice dark brown colour.
- Whip it off the stove and quickly add baking soda and salt. Watch out, it’s like making hokey pokey in high school science all over again. It starts to expand.
- Working quickly, pour over popcorn and stir to coat. You might like to enlist a helper to stir while you pour.
- Eat a few bits, it is your bakers right.
- Bake! Stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.
It is really important to bake the popcorn for the full amount of time. Unless, like me, you get interrupted halfway through baking by the biggest earth quake you’ve ever felt. In that case, turn off the oven, run out of the house and be a bit upset.
Then return to the kitchen, ignore the recommended cooking time and eat straight away. Feed it to your shaken flatmates also.
Then realise that you should have baked it the full time the next morning when all the left over popcorn is soggy. Sigh.