I’ve wanted to make these for a very long time, but I was very very nervous about royal icing!
Thanks to some fabulous tutorials, I managed to not completely mess these cookies up.
The geeks and I were debating if Pac-Man should have had eyes? In the game he doesn’t, but on the packaging and promo stuff he does…
I’ve been experimenting a bit with cookies and royal icing recently, so here is ten tips I’ve picked up so far:
1. Freeze, Freeze, Frees: Sugar cookies that are not baked from icy icy cold will spread, burn and lose their shape. Depending on how intricate the shape/pattern is you can either refrigerate or freeze your dough.
2. Cut then freeze again!: When using embossing stamps/cookie cutters, cut the cookie, emboss and then freeze.
3. Test cookies: Do a test two or three cookies, of varying thickness. The perfect thickness results in a perfect cookie!
4. Mmmmm vanilla: Spruce up boring sugar cookies by adding vanilla paste or pod to the recipe.
5. Edge & Flood: You need two kinds of Royal Icing consistency. 1) Edge – a bit thicker and firmer, use this to run around the edge of your cookie and outline it. 2) Flood – a bit thinner and smoother, use this to fill in or flood inside the outline/border you just made.
6. DON’T TOUCH: Do whatever it takes (for me, it was watching 3 episodes of The Big Bang Theory) to just walk away from the cookies once they are iced and let them dry out before adding any eyes/faces/accents. Otherwise you’ll end up with the colours bleeding.
7. Jelly Jelly Gel: Please, please, please invest in gel colouring. Pretty please?
8. Keep it cool: Leave cookies overnight to dry out – if you’ve got one, a fan is really helpful for a few hours.
9. Stay Calm: It took me a few attempts to get the knack of Royal Icing. Try out recipes that use egg whites, or meringue powder (you can buy it online in NZ) or store bought mixes too. New World has started carrying a ‘just add water’ mix that seems OK.
10. Save a buck: Glad bags make perfect icing bags when flooding cookies.
Now I’ve got you thinking about it, go play a game or two online – here: http://www.pacmangame.org/